Thursday 3 April 2014

Man hangs himself & 4 year old son after scammers sent him a mail asking him to pay £13,000 or face jail



A Romanian father,Marcel Datcu, 36, hanged himself  along with his 4-year old son after he opened a mail from scammers which demanded he pay £13,000 or face jail ..IB times reports..

The suicide note he left for his wife read..
"I received a warning [on my computer] that said I have to pay 70.000 lei [£13,000] or go to prison for 11 years."I don't think it's normal what I've done...I apologise to all of you...I don't want Nicusor to suffer because of me...I can't stand going to prison. I can't."
According to the sources close to the police investigation who spoke to Braila24, the warning came from ransomware which had infected Datcu's computer after he had visited some adult websites.
Ransomeware is a pernicious for of malware which can infect your computer through spam emails or malicious websites.

Once downloaded onto your computer, ransomware typically locks down your system and throws up a message which claims to be from some law enforcement agency. Cyber-criminals tailor the malware to look like it comes from local law enforcement agencies depending on which country you are in.

1 comment:

  1. That's so unfortunate. The man was a coward and his child was a victim. I hope the scammers are brought to justice.

    ReplyDelete