Saturday 30 March 2013

KOB's Nollywood : Meet Angela Okorie and her cute son





Angela Okorie is a Nollywood actress who was born and brought up in Cotonou. She is from a family of 5 and is the third child in the family. She schooled at LASU and is presently studying theatre Arts at the University of Lagos. She is married with a son.
She filmed her first movie in December 2009, and since then has featured in over 60 movies. She rose to fame after featuring in a movie called Holy Serpent which was  produced by Coruma International Production.
Enjoy the interview  with Angela below:
Any challenges?
Yeah, a little bit with my colleagues, especially with the ones that were there before I came, so many but I thank God for today.
What is it about you that people don’t know?
Nothing, I’m a very transparent person. I don’t know how to hide myself.

What are you working on right now?
I’m working on a movie in Asaba.
Brief us about the movie?
It’s about girls that are desperate for the prince. They want him and hismoney. They are fighting to get to him, and I’m playing Mercy, she is a wayward girl who also wants the prince.
Other artists in the film?
Mercy Johnson, Muna Obiekwe, Lawrence Lurrenz Onuzulike, Angela Okoli, Mary Uranta, diamond Okechi, producer is Uche Nancy and the director is Andy Nwakalor.
Any difficulty playing a wayward girl?
Not at all. it’s not difficult at all, because I have a good director directing me.

What is it that you want to bring into this role to give it a different feel?
I intend to put in my all. I've seen the script, and I understand the character I am playing. I know I am playing out of my real self so with that understanding I am definitely on the step to interprete the character convincingly. It's an emotional role like I said. If I'm not real, I won't be able to move people. I've done something like that once in a movie called Holy Serpent. 
For someone who is used to playing the chic in movies and is now playing the village girl, what is the transition like for you? 
It's not being easy but we have to achieve it. I remember speaking too many English and then the director would cut in and remind me that I am supposed to be a typical village girl. 
How long have you been in the industry?
Let's say three years. I did my first film in 2009.  
In Nollywood which actress and actor will you say you admire?
I admire Genevieve a lot. I like her so much because she's so real. I watch a lot of her movies. And in Hollywood, I admire Angelina Jolie.  I look forward to acting with her. And for the male actors, I admire Ramsey Nouah and Artus Frank. 
Frank and I are very close. You know when you're acting with your pal, when you are wrong, he tells you. When you're shooting with the right people, they tend to get the best out of you. Majid is another person I would love to act with. I've never done a movie with him. I think we are doing a movie together by second quarter of the year. Van Vicker is another actor that I've acted with. He's really good.
When did you realize acting was what you wanted to do?
I have always wanted to be an actress. I've known I was going to be an actress. I have been into entertainment all my life. I can sing. I am a model. I was under Delta soap for about eight to nine years. 
Do you still model?
Yes, I still model if the money is right. I recently model for MTN. I was on their MTN at ten adverts.  
How financially rewarding was it?
It was ok. I was even pregnant when I shot it. I was nine months pregnant. They had a lot of models. It was like breaking rules for MTN. My agent went to their office and so many other pretty models were there. When they saw my pictures, they were like this actress; we would like to use her. Then my agent told them that I am married and pregnant and they said no problem that it was just my face that was needed. 

Has being a mother affected your acting in anyway?
No, it has not. 
But would you say being a known face has paved way for you in Nollywood?
Yes and no! Yes, because being a known face generally, makes people recognize and relate with me easily and no because if I am not meant to be here, I wouldn't be here. If God has not ordained me to be here, I won't be there. When I was coming up, some people said I was not good at acting, but people still like me notwithstanding. 
What was growing up like?
I was brought up in Cotonou. That's where my parents live. While growing up, I was in the children choir as well as in the drama group. I was always in the forefront when it came to acting and even music. And I was a Nollywood fan. So it's has been my passion.
Since you could sing too, why did you opt for acting first?
I will still sing. I'm telling you now so you won't be surprised when you find my song playing on air
What is your style of music?
RnB gospel
Do you think you will be accepted as a gospel artiste by the time you come out?
Is it because of my looks? Of course people will. There are things people don't understand about me. Acting is a different thing but when you see me physically, you would know that I know God. I am not claiming to be a pastor or an evangelist, but in whatever I do, I put God first.
How do you handle male admirers?
I love my fans. I love people that love me. I love my male fans. They are wonderful. There is nothing I can do about it. A lot of the times, I see male fans walk up to me and say things like I love you and I reply, I love you too even when I don't know the person. I just have to be nice to them because they form my fans base and if they are not there I won't be there.
What is the craziest thing a male fan has done to you?
That was in America, in New York to be precise. One of my fans walked up to me and kissed me. That is the craziest thing a fan has ever done to me. I was dumbfounded but then what could I do. I just smiled and walked away.
Apart from modeling, what were you doing before acting?
I was schooling. I attended Lagos State University, I did Public Administration but right now, I am studying Theatre Art at the University of Lagos. But you know how it is; I do a lot of movies but I try to attend lectures. It's not really easy though combining schooling and acting and doing other things. 

When did you come to Nigeria?
I came to Nigeria at age 17 because I got admitted to the University.
What was it like growing up in Cotonue?
Life was sweet. My family still lives there. The life over there is really sweet. I grew in a family of five. I'm the third but the second girl. I'm filming in Badagry right now and already I'm just thinking of going home to see my mum. Growing up I was a very stubborn girl. Most of my friends were guys. I was a tomboy. I only had just two female friends. I was very close to my elder brother. Sometimes I wore his clothes. Whenever I get a tomboy role I play it very well because it comes to me naturally. I have just finished playing one. 
For someone who was a tomboy, how were you able to switch into becoming a lady?
When I left Cotonou, I started imbibing the attitude of a woman and that includes dressing like a girl that I am. Then I met this agent; Tony Jackson who was always telling me if I don't look like a woman I wouldn't be picked. As time went on, Delta soap chose me.
Is your contract with Delta soap still valid?
No it's ended.
Why didn't they renew the contract?
Right now, things have changed. The money just has to right, and not like when I started with them.
The spate of divorce is alarming. What is your thought about married? 
For the very fact that I am married tells you I believe in the institution of marriage. I am one person who believes that a woman must keep her home. My husband knows that I am an actress. We already agreed on that. Acting is what I love doing. If you love me you should love what I do. And I thank God that my husband supports what I'm doing. I gave birth and my child was not even up to one month before I started shooting again. That's to tell you how much he supports what I am doing. 

And like my mum used to tell me while I was younger; you have to take your husband as your second God. After God he is the second person. Sometimes, he would shout and call you names but you have to keep your cool. Ones my husband is talking, I just keep quiet. Marriage is sweet and it is sour so you just have to accept the fact that you are married and respect your husband. 
What was the attraction?
I've always asked God to bring a man that will understand me; a man who will love me for who I am and not what I am; somebody who will love me to the end, somebody who will love what I do. He is quiet and god fearing. I don't like men who talk too much. He doesn't talk much. I had a lot of proposals. I was living with my aunty in Festac. She was always collecting drinks on my head. I actually met my husband in Festac. He wooed me for  six months. 

Angela has really inspired me, now i feel like i still have a shot at acting despite being married..(Or y'all think i can't act..wait till you see moi display.so dearest KOB, watch out..lol) Anyways,keeping your sanity and having a great focus is the key!I think she is a great actress! Wishing her all the best in Nollywood! 
Source:http://www.thenationonlineng.net

No comments:

Post a Comment