Tuesday 5 March 2013

BN Interview With Buhle Mncube A Strong Powerful Stylish’ Beautiful Black Zulu Woman’ An Icon’ A mum’ And A Writer

Betty Nwabunike:Please tell us a little about your self.
I’m  Buhle Mncube  35 yrs old mother of  a teenage daughter. I based in UK, Oxford but will soon be relocating back to South Africa next month. I came from a  family of 3 the only girl between two brothers. Brought up by 2 loving parents who are still alive, bless them and from a very close knit family. I have a post 1st degree in Social Sciences and have worked with various top companies in SA, eg Transnet and love-Life. When I  moved  to the  UK in 2005 it was  partly to works and study.
Betty Nwabunike: You look like a very influential Black Woman  What do you do for a living.
Whilst in the UK I have been employed as a Senior Project Co-ordinator for a housingorganisation in Oxford. I also do event management and personal styling. But soon to be  relocating back to South Africa by the end of June to set up my own image   consultancy and event management company called  Feme’Nique.
Women Confidentials:Tell us about your creative side as a stylish women and a beautiful style Icon.
Firstly I must say that I’m very humbled to be seen as a style icon, I think my passion and love for fashion stems from a very young age. I have always had a creative flair and enjoy designing my own clothes and also adding a personal African touch to it. My style mostly reflect my roots and identity as not only a Zulu woman but also as a proud African woman. I’m inspired by a lot of things like African artifacts, arts, poetry, music, and our beautiful and diverse cultures. I tend to mix my style from various African influence, eg Masaai East Africa, Nguni (Southern Africa and of course I have a selection of West African designs too. My creative side also extends to interior decoration and creative arts IE, handmade cards and jewellery. As for being beautiful..err, lets say God takes all the credit for that one although I really do take good care of myself in terms of looking after my skin and making sure I look presentable wherever I go. It’s always nice when people give nice compliments and it boost one’s self esteem good especially when there are younger ladies like my daughter or cousin sisters who look up to me as a role model. It’s very important to represent positively. When I look good, I feel good;-)
Betty Nwabunike: What do you think about Western dressing/ Africa dressing, there was a debate once saying that black women only look great in Africa fabric or style, but looking at you, you look stylish, gorgeous, chic as well as great both in your traditional and Western looks, what do you think
I completely disagree with that statement, black women look great in almost everything. I think what makes a black women look outstanding in the African attire is the dignity and character behind our African culture. There’s something very powerful and dignified in an African attire, moreover it shows a beautiful culture and most of our designs are very colourful and that automatically boosts the entire look when the colours are outstanding. I tend to mix my African attire with Western flair and still look modern and chic. That simply reflects creativity and the fact that the both styles can blend if worn with confidence, pride and a hint of individual taste to it. Fashion is about the ability to mix different trends and cultures and the result  a bold statement. Also the biggest secret in styling is to add a personal touch. This can be done by Keeping  it simple but unique. My motto is always dress for the occasion, I can change from being a tom boy to an African goddess to a casual day look and a glamour night   out. If going out to a function, I make sure I know exactly what the dress code  is this   makes it easy to  complete my outfit. Once you make it a habit to always look your best, you find it hard to dress down,  when I’m wearing my tracksuit the  same dressing code applies, I still make sure I add a personal touch and look best. Another important factor is always to dress for  age, body shape and character, making sure that my clothes and style reflects my level of maturity, as well  as being  covered and presentable. I strongly believe that strangers or the public judge us on the way we look. First impressions last, how I look in public can either make my image or damage it, so I’m very much aware of how I like to present myself in public.
Betty Nwabunike: I have seen a few articles like ” WHAT’S LOVE GOT TO DO WITH IT….? ” written by you please do tell us about your other side as a well spoken women and writer at the same time.
Thank you for taking time to read my articles. Writing is my first love, when I write I ’speak’ and write from my heart. My greatest influence comes from reading books from a tender age. Authors like Chinua Achebe, Buchi Emecheta, Ngungi wa Tiango etc have all inspired me. But mostly my inspiration stems from  everyday women of the world. Their stories of triumph over adversity to overcome against the odds really inspire and motivate me. And also coming from a South African history and background means that a lot of women in the struggle have in their own ways  injected that sense of courage to stand up as a woman and be able to voice my opinions. I also come from a family with powerful and strong women, IE my mother, aunties and grannies who I have looked up to over the years  they have all  inspired me in their different ways to become a strong woman of substance without loosing my feminine touch and sense of respect and dignity as an African woman  especially of African descent, truly inspire me on daily basis. They are  born with a steel chip on their shoulders and they know how to carry the weight on their shoulders with love, humility and kindness.

By Omo Nwabunike

No comments:

Post a Comment